Tuesday, January 18, 2011

the deep breath before the plunge

"The board is set.  The pieces are moving.  We come to it at last..." (J. R. R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King)
Welcome to my study abroad and travel blog.  From Sunday, January 23 until Saturday June 4, I will be overseas at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow.  While there, I will be traveling to other parts of Europe and the UK.  This blog will be all about my adventures gadding about Glasgow.


In roughly three days, I will depart for the first stage of my study abroad journey--the 300 mile drive to the airport in Minneapolis and my flight (via Newark) to Glasgow.  It's hard to believe that it is already almost time.  After the nearly yearlong wait between my first study abroad application and receiving my official acceptance to the University of Strathclyde, it is both finally and already time to go.


I went into my five week winter break thinking that I would have time to accomplish all sorts of things.  This list changed as I've realized how short five weeks really can be.  In its feasible at this late in the game edition, the list entails:

  • Finish and send off internship applications.
  • pack, Pack, PACK.
  • Work (one more day) at Dairy Queen.
  • Bake cookies.
  • Finish 30 Rock Season 4.
  • Attempt to beat (but most likely just progress in) The Legend of Zelda:  Wind Waker.
  • Visit family.

More entries to come upon my arrival in Glasgow!

3 comments:

  1. Have an awesome time, Beth!! Don't forget to kiss some blarney stone for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad my message hadn't sent in before! I wanted to be the first...sigh...

    Just have to say that I approve of the Tolkien quote and the alliteration! :)
    Also, aren't you excited to pack, Pack, PACK for glasgow, Glasgow, GLASGOW!?! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog already! :)) You're very well written!

    ReplyDelete